Saturday, December 1, 2012

Meet Ebube: The MTN ultimate wonder promo winner

MTN Nigeria CEO, Brett Goshen, the Ultimate Winner, Ebube Essien-Garricks
and MTN Corporate Service Executive, Wale Goodluck at the presentation of Ebubue
to the press.

In fulfillment of its promise to Nigerians, MTN Ultimate Wonder Promo was recently rested in a grand prize draw in Lagos, followed by a media presentation of the grand prize winner, a student, Ms Ebube Essien-Garricks. DigitalSENSE Business News was there and reports.
The first question that came to mind when the name ‘Ebube’ Essien-Garricks was announced as the winner of the MTN Ultimate Wonder Promo, was ‘what has that name Ebube got to do with the ultimate wonder?’
To a lot of people from the Southern parts of the country, the name Ebube means, ‘wonder’ which literarily means “A feeling of surprise mingled with admiration, caused by something beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, or inexplicable.
And when MTN conceived this promo, little did the mobile communications giant predicted the astonishment that could follow the initiative. So, it was a very warm day penultimate Wednesday, November 14, 2012 when the grand prize draw for the MTN Ultimate Wonder Promo was held at the headquarters of MTN Nigeria at Falomo-Ikoyi, Lagos and a 27 year old student, Ms Ebube Essien-Garricks, became the ‘Wonder’ ultimately to her name ‘Ebube.’
A female student of College of Health Science and Technology, Rivers State, the 27-year old Ebube, who was initially overwhelmed on receiving the news via a phone call and eventually opted for the cash value of the plane, which is about N64 million.
“This must be the best Christmas gift ever. It is truly wonderful,” she declared.
The assistant director, Lagos zone of the Nigerian Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC), Mr. Obi Iriegbu testified to the transparency and credibility of the promo.
DigitalSENSE Business News recalls that the promo which started in August saw a total of 1,200 people winning N150, 000 each and 12 people going home with N2 million each.
Confirming this, the Chief Marketing Officer, Mr. Larry Annetts said, the promo was credible, transparent and interesting. “When we came out with the promo, many doubted us but today we have an Ultimate winner who will go home with the promised Cessna 182T aeroplane,” Annetts said, emphasising MTN’s commitment towards enriching the lives of its consumers.
Probably one of the promos that generated much skepticism since the emergence of MTN into the Nigeria business scene, both in the media and the general public, the MTN Ultimate Wonder Promo ended with a student winning the ultimate prize of an aircraft, worth N64 million.
Speaking at the media presentation of Ebube in Lagos, the CMO further noted through the General Manager, Consumer Marketing, Mr. Kola  Oyayemi, that the promo and presentation of Ebube is to further reiterate MTN’s commitment to enrich its consumers.
He revealed that the MTN will not only give Ebube the cash prize but would also engage a financial adviser in order to guard her in making judicious use of the fund.
Ebube who recharges her MTN line with N200 or N100 about thrice a week, said she did not know about the promo, specifically as there were many running from various networks and could not believe the news when she first heard it.
For Ebube, “I only do normal recharging to enable me make calls and send SMS,” she declared, expressing gratitude to God for using MTN to raise her and family up. “All thanks to MTN and glory be to God,” Ebube asserted, promising to be a good ambassador of the telecommunications operator, her family and friends.
According to her, the money is such a big money hence she would accept the financial advisory service that MTN would engage.
Above all, she maintained that her study, which is in the final year must be completed and then she could proceed to higher decrees until her Master is achieved.
“Every member of the family deserves to be educated to Masters level,” she said.
Also speaking the Corporate Services Executive, MTN Nigeria, Mr. Wale Goodluck said the presentation is reassuring that MTN is ready to accomplish any promise made to Nigerians at all fronts.
He disclosed that some detailing will be needed before formal presentation or transfer of the fund to the winner, to ensure that she does not in any way in the future have challenge in accessing the fund, stressing that most importantly is the fact that the Managing Director, Mr. Brett Goshen has accepted to offer Ebube a hand in managing the fund.
He further expressed thank to all those who believed in MTN, assuring that the best is yet to come from the leading mobile operator.

Ebubue
One-on-One with Ebube:
What motivated the promo?
MTN CEO:
It’s the idea of the Chief Marketing Officer, for me, I was a bit skeptical that it even generated a lot of comments from all around Nigeria and the social media. It’s honestly a successful promotion and we have a winner, a student in her final year and we are delighted for that.
It’s such a huge sum, so we offer the service of financial adviser as to what she can do and how she can invest it. MTN Nigeria would pay for the financial advisory service.
General Manager, Consumer Marketing Manager, MTN, Mr. Kola Oyayemi, on behalf of the Chief marketing officer (CMO)
What motivated this promo is our brand, MTN, we do things that other brands are yet to do. No brand in Nigeria has ever given N1billion, we did. No brand in Nigeria has ever given an aeroplane and we said it can be done and that’s why initially there is a whole lot of skepticism about it: is it real? Is it possible? But the ultimate prize winner proved to everybody that when we make a promise, we always deliver.
When she was publicly asked if she wants the plane or the cash, and the answer was “I need the money.” So, as we are told that the plane is $400, 000 and the Naira value is N64milion, and it’s a promise fulfilled. This is of the can-do value of MTN and the fact that she also shares that same value, that’s the rationale behind the promo.
Ebube:
Am overwhelmed, just watching everyone. Thanks to MTN and glory be to God. Am so happy, this is something I never dreamt of, it just happen, its God, I can’t explain it.
The only thing I do with my phone is to load credit to make calls, that’s all.
Do you know anyone in MTN, or was it arranged?
No, nothing was arranged. I don’t know anybody in MTN.
The last call I received was from my family that Linda (from MTN) called that I have won an aeroplane, and I was like its ‘419’ and I don’t want to be involved in that. But I was told that she would call back in two minutes. She called back and I was asking; who are you? She said she is calling from MTN that I have won an aeroplane. An aeroplane, just like that! What did I suffer to win an aeroplane?
I called my elder brother and he told me that I shouldn’t forget that there are 419s; that I should make my clarification very well. When I received another call again, I asked what they want from me but was asked if I need the aeroplane or the cash and I said I need the cash, I need money. If I choose the aeroplane, where would I land or where would I start. I have no business with aeroplane.
I was asked to go to MTN Officer to take a photograph, I was thinking it’s just a passport, I don’t know it’s something awesome I never dreamt of. I got to the reception of Intel building and I introduced myself to the  receptionist who just shouted that the winner is here and everybody start coming out, taking pictures with me and I was like. is this really me. Who am I, I’m nobody.
After the photograph, I went back home and they kept on calling, that my ticket is ready and that I would be going with my mother, it was awesome.
Now, that you opted for the cash, what are you going to do with the money?
I am not so frightened about the money. The money is a lot of money and I’m still a final year student. I need a lot of investment and once am done from school, with this money I can buy my equipment and be self-employed.
My elder brother dropped out of school for us, I think he needs his Masters and my elder sisters, we all need Masters in the house and we need a big house.
MTN has offered to assist you in terms of asset management, are you going to take that?
It’s okay by me as I don’t know much about investment.
So, what would change about you now?
Change! I don’t need to feel pompous, I am myself; I am not from a bragging family. I know where I came from and I know where am going to.
Like how much can you recall that you used in recharging your phone?
Not much, like N200, N100, I never recharged with N1,500 or N750. I only recharge N200, N100, just to make call, and send SMS, that’s all.
When have you been using MTN?
It’s been long, since I know myself as a phone user.
Now you believe that the promo is true, right?
At least with all these people around me, it’s true.
What do you have to say to other MTN users?
Oh! Keep on using MTN; in fact forget about other networks. I have other networks but I don’t think I would use them again but then, they cannot afford this kind of money. I don’t think they can do that.
As it is now you promised to be a good ambassador of MTN from your comments?
Yes.
Congratulations!
Thank you.


... Making SENSE of digital revolution!

No comments: